Saturday, February 13, 2010

Eavesdropping

I am guilty of eavesdropping. If this were a crime, I'd have been in jail for a long time.

I love it mainly because it's like being the mouse in the corner. You get all the information and enjoyment of the moment without having to participate. Right now, Hunk O Man is out in the kitchen, talking with JB about his Dad. They're having one of those moments when it's just them, daddy and daughter, just talking.

And I get to be there without being there -- cause I can hear it all.

Eavesdropping is sort of a theme of my life. I have spent a lot of my life wanting all the benefits without having to do the work -- in essence, eavesdropping on a life in which I don't have to actively participate.

Well, life doesn't really work that way. While the idea of the thing is infinitely more attractive than the actual thing (in most cases), the thing requires your participation. And in the long run, those are the things that change you; they bump you and knock off parts and add more parts and completely alter who you started out as being.

Kind of like trying to walk through a very tight crowd. You get a bruised elbow, some ice cream on your shirt, gum on your shoe. And you started out looking so pretty.

So while eavesdropping is nice sometimes -- eventually you have to get into that crowd and get banged up. People usually like you better that way anyway. Plus, it's way more fun. Eavesdropping can get really boring after awhile. Nobody likes sitting on the sidelines for long.

So if you'll excuse me, I think I'll head into the kitchen and grab a cup of tea. I'll be crashing the daddy daughter moment -- but I'll get to turn it into a daddy-daughter-mama moment. Put me in, coach.

xoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment

That'll be two cents for your opinion, please. And thanks as always for commenting at Today at Jen's House. : )