Sunday, February 7, 2010

In Search of The Theory of Everything

I like to explore ideas about the origins of the universe. String theory, black holes, gravity -- they all hold great interest for me. I'm not exactly sure why. My mom just shakes her head.

And yes, I know I'm a total geek.

Geekiness aside, all these subjects make for some good thinking. I like to think about things. While Hunk O Man needs music or conversation while driving on a long trip, I can drive in total silence, just thinking.

Something occurred to me yesterday as I was getting out of the shower. It seems we keep backing up in our theories. By "backing up" I just mean that we explain a small thing, then a microscopic thing, then things we can't see at all, then things that are even smaller and theoretical, and even smaller things that can only be proven mathematically. String theory seems to be at the base of all the small things. Currently, it's the most popular way to explain what makes up everything in the universe.

Nice theory. Except, what makes up the strings? Well, that's a long explanation having to do with scientific things that you don't really care about.

And in light of this, an idea occurred to me: what if asking what strings are made of isn't the right question? What if "what is the origin of the universe?" is the wrong question?

I realise that I'm coming from a fundamental viewpoint of God having created the world. So for me, that begs the question -- what is the right question to ask?

All I can come up with so far is simply this question -- "God, who are You?"

The nice thing is that I can pursue that question to no end, and I know how to do it. I don't need to know high-level mathematics and I don't have to be Einstein. I just need to know how to read a bible and how to pray. The God of the universe will allow me to know what I am capable of knowing. And exploring a relationship is infinitely easier than exploring a theory.

And isn't it just like God to make it that simple?

I Corinthians 1:18-20 (NIV):

19For it is written:
"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."
20Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

Dear God,
Who are you? I really want to know.
Love,
jen

xoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment

That'll be two cents for your opinion, please. And thanks as always for commenting at Today at Jen's House. : )