Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hello, Old Friends Part 3

I saw a lot of old friends last week.  We were on vacation, and had the amazing opportunity to attend a reunion of the members of a single's ministry that Hunk O Man headed up for 10 years.

I smiled so much that day that my face hurt.  And it was totally worth it.

There was also a convention, and I reconnected with some old friends there as well.  I saw people I love from home, and even had coffee with the oldest friend I've ever had (and hadn't seen in 40 years).

All this reminded me of the precious, priceless value of the people I have had in my life.  Who gets this kind of blessing in their life?  I am grateful to the point of tears.

On this particular trip I also hurt some old friends inadvertently.  One was an honest mistake, and I tried to make sure she understood how sorry I was.  I'm waiting now for her heart to heal from the damage I caused.  It may take awhile.  I will wait.

The other was just a mindless comment -- one that sounded funny in my head -- spoken to an old friend who has been very sick for some time.  I thought he would laugh because of his wry sense of humour.  But as soon as I said it, I realised how completely insensitive it was.

Now this old friend has been somewhat distant for awhile.  There is a palpable gap when I see him; a coolness that probably has always been there, but that I completely ignore.  I do this on purpose, and here's why:

It doesn't matter if your friends love you.  It matters if you love your friends.

What matters is that I stand in the gap and pray for his sickness to heal.  What matters is that I maintain an expectation that no time has passed and no walls are there.  What matters is that we were, are, and will continue to be friends as long as it depends on me.

This is what God has taught me, an introvert who would rather live in a cave than deal with the difficulties of life in a human world.  People matter.  People were created to love and be loved.  And when my amazing Saviour is directly in my line of sight, everyone between me and him will be captured in His love for me and mine for Him.

Lord God, please make me remember this today.  I am sure it will be hard because of who I am.  I am sure I will fail.  And I am sure that You are in control.

xoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment

That'll be two cents for your opinion, please. And thanks as always for commenting at Today at Jen's House. : )