Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Good Politics

I just read this, from Romans 16:

17-18One final word of counsel, friends. Keep a sharp eye out for those who take bits and pieces of the teaching that you learned and then use them to make trouble. Give these people a wide berth. They have no intention of living for our Master Christ. They're only in this for what they can get out of it, and aren't above using pious sweet talk to dupe unsuspecting innocents.

This means something to me today because of something I saw this week on Facebook.    Let me preface this by telling you a few things about myself, so you'll know where I'm coming from.

I'm a moderate conservative -- but not a registered Republican. I like to make my own decisions about things - I am a registered Independent.  Most of my friends are Republicans, conservative, and I agree with them most of the time. I have also been deeply wounded by The Church, the body of Christ.   I am judgmental and fight that every day.  I strive to be more like Christ.  I am your run-of-the-mill fallen human, and I am well aware of this fact.  I love God and struggle with people.

All that said, the Facebook post I saw was one of those retro cartoons, talking about how Republicans worship go to church to worship a  . . . well, suffice to say the word "hippie" was included, along with some other  derogatory terms.  I'd show you but I refuse to dignify it by posting it here.

The friend who posted it is decidedly liberal in his political views.  I have several friends like this.  Friendship isn't based on politics, and I am thankful for that. I value our friendship greatly, and I love that our differences make our friendship lively and fun, and that we have to agree to disagree on some issues. 

(That's ok, because someday he'll realize I'm right . . . )

But getting back to the post -- I couldn't leave that one alone.  So I commented that while you can mess with Republicans all you like, it's another thing entirely to mess with God.  This crossed a line.  Not cool.

Immediately someone I do not know, a friend of my friend, also commented on my comment and cited America's freedom of speech and then something about "turning the other cheek."  The sheer arrogance of it made me angry.  Who is this guy to actually defend bad-mouthing God?  I thought "this is the same God that created you, you idiot!  You want to use both the Constitution AND the Bible to defend this kind of behavior, you moron?"

Needless to say, I had a very strong reaction to his comment.

I thought about it for about a day, and then went back to respond.  And I found that my friend, the one who originally posted the cartoon, had deleted it.  I thought, good for him!  My respect for him shot up into the stratosphere.  He took my feeling about the thing, considered it, and decided not to have a Facebook discussion (war) over it.  He may not agree with me, but he certainly took my comments to heart and showed me the respect that will urge me to always do the same for him.  He's a smart guy, and not just because of the way he treated me.

It drives me crazy when people -- usually non-Christians and lunatics -- take small bits and pieces of the  Bible and use it to suit their own purposes.  This is not something educated people do with any writing, holy or not.  This is not critical thinking.  It is stupidity.  

And now you see why I hold some of my conservative views -- I am also a Constitutionalist and disagree with many judgements of our fine Supreme Court.  I also respect their positions and responsibility to uphold the law as they interpret it.  Those guys are not stupid, no matter how much I disagree with them.  At least they take the entire argument into consideration in making their judgements.  They are critical thinkers, true to their jobs.  They got to where they are for a reason.

So all this to say that thank God Paul was the same way.  He was an educated man who exhorted us to throw aside those ignorant people who like to cherry-pick the scriptures.  Disagree all you like, but at least don't be someone who clearly has no grasp of the concept -- and then open your mouth and make an ass of yourself.

To sum up, I will just say this:  it's a very bad idea to call God names.  Bad form.  We must be careful, because what goes around comes around, we do reap what we sow, and above all else, God is in control.  This is a terrible and awesome truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

That'll be two cents for your opinion, please. And thanks as always for commenting at Today at Jen's House. : )