Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Trending



Jesus said this as he prayed for the disciples just before he went to be crucified.  It's a long prayer, full of love for them and for God the Father.  You should read it, the whole thing.  But this small part jumped out at me today:

They are no more defined by the world 
   Than I am defined by the world. 

(I put the words in red because Jesus said them in his prayer for the disciples, and I think when Jesus speaks it should catch our eyes.  Those red-letter Bibles are really handy.)

It caught my eye because I love Pinterest, and fashion, and trends.  I love the way art changes in the world.  I love to look at people who define themselves with fashion and trends and styles.  I love People Magazine and the entertainment section of my Yahoo home page, the Red Carpet shows and that new show Smash.  

All those things of the world.

I make that choice as well, sometimes, to be defined by the fashion I wear or the words I use or the shape I want to be in.  I want the world to like me.  When I do those things, I tend to let the world define me.  Not good.

It's not that I think great fashion or art is bad.  It just shouldn't define me.  I am far more than the clothing that I wear or the slang I use.  I am an alien here.  I'm supposed to look and sound a little odd, a little out of place.  I look at my clothing sometimes and think that I need new things -- but why?  The things I have are perfectly serviceable.  They may not be the current color trend or style, but that's ok.  I look at my aging, out-of-shape body and think I need to look like a magazine.  But why?  I remind myself frequently that I don't need new clothes -- I need a new attitude about the clothes I have.  About the shape I have.  About the outer appearance of me.

After all, none of these things define me.  My relationship with God defines me.  Did you catch that subtle difference?  I didn't say "my religion defines me."  Nope, it's my relationship with God, a completely different thing altogether.  I am not that pretty dress I bought for a wedding last weekend.

I am just Jenny, sinner saved by the grace extended to me by Jesus.  In God's dictionary, right after my name it says this:  MINE.  I will try and take that with me today as I deal with others in the world, especially others that belong to Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

That'll be two cents for your opinion, please. And thanks as always for commenting at Today at Jen's House. : )