Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Junk, Stuff, Things

Hunk O Man and I were sitting the other night talking about house insurance. He wants to switch our car and house policies to one company, so we'll get the discount.

So he's rattling off numbers to me, and we're discussing just how much it would cost to replace this house and its contents. It was a daunting idea, that a fire could start or a tornado could come and everything might be gone in an afternoon. And the idea that money could replace it all -- what about photo albums? CD's with financial information and photos and keepsake clothing from the girls' infancies? What about trinkets that are dear to us because someone gave them to us? What about all the personal information on our laptops? What about my favourite ice cream scoop? What about (gasp!) my sewing machine?

I read this passage from Matthew 24 this morning:

Jesus then left the Temple. As he walked away, his disciples pointed out how very impressive the Temple architecture was. Jesus said, "You're not impressed by all this sheer size, are you? The truth of the matter is that there's not a stone in that building that is not going to end up in a pile of rubble."

I've said for years that stuff doesn't matter, because it's all going to burn. I've said this primarily because I have several brothers and sisters, and I have parents who have a lot of stuff. When they die, I am determined that I will not get into some kind of tug-o-war with them over anything. It's all stuff, and it's all gonna burn.

That's a stark difference from my own stuff burning. I have to admit, I would grieve the loss of my things. Lots of it could be replaced -- but lots of it couldn't. It would survive only in my memory.

And really, isn't that the point? All this stuff does is serve to remind us of a precious time or person. And we have that anyway. Stuff is like icing on the cake.

When I lived in southern California, I always said that my children were my riches. Stuff is nice, and it makes life more comfortable. But people are what matter, because people are what is going to last into eternity.

Lord, please enable me to put people ahead of stuff. Even if it's my sewing machine. Amen.

xoxoxox


No comments:

Post a Comment

That'll be two cents for your opinion, please. And thanks as always for commenting at Today at Jen's House. : )